The Center for Peace and Environment in Tehran, presented the prestigious Dr. Taghi Ebtekar International Award yesterday to Dr. Klaus Topfer, the former UNEP Executive Director and German Minister of Environment and national award to Mr. M.Ali Ashraf Vaghefi , the managing director of Iran Doostan Tours for its foundation, the first Iranian Eco-desert camp Matinabad.
The 14th round of this Award was also devoted to national individuals who have made significant efforts for the protection of the environment.
- Mr. Mohammad Ali Ashraf Vaghefi founder of Matinabad Desert Eco Camp and Iran Doostan Tours Co manager was one of who awarded the prestigious Dr. Taghi Ebtekar for his lifetime achievements in the field of Education, knowledge and Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources.
- Dr. Alireza Kochaki Ferdowsi University lecturer in Mashhad awarded the prestigious Dr. Taghi Ebtekar for his teaching and research in the field of environment and agriculture on Iran, founder of Iran Sustainable Agriculture and wrote more than 161 articles in national and International journals.
- Dr. Hoshang Ziaei University professor awarded the prestigious Dr. Taghi Ebtekar for his years of teaching and research in field of Iran environment and trying to save wildlife from extinction risks.
- Dr. Bita Ayati Assoc. professor of Tarbiat Modares University awarded the prestigious Dr. Taghi Ebtekar for her years of research on environment in treating hard biodegradable wastewater by using Nano-technology and advanced technology method.
- Ms. Tahora Shahbazi environmental journalist awarded the prestigious Dr. Taghi Ebtekar for her effort for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources.
- Mr. Soheil Oladzad awarded the prestigious Dr. Taghi Ebtekar for his activities on environment and training people specially youth in the field of the environment and specifically on the subject of waste and recycling.
- Ms. Shaghayegh Mosavai awarded the prestigious Dr. Taghi Ebtekar for her Art and Literature Activities with environmental incentives.
Dr. Klaus Topfer noted that it is necessary to take collective action to protect the earth’s environment. He also recalled the constructive dialogue and collaboration UNEP had at his time as the director with Iran in areas pertaining to religion and culture and the connection with environmental protection. Topfer also mentioned the importance of the Dialogue among Civilizations initiative put forward by former President Khatami and stressed upon the importance of supporting the current WAVE initiative of President Rouhani. Dr. Topfer indicated his willingness to work with the government of Iran and the Center for Peace and Environment in various areas pertaining to sustainability.
Dr. Massoumeh Ebtekar (Vice President of Iran and Responsible for environmental issues) also spoke on the interrelatedness of peace and environment and the necessity for a novel approach on the nexus between the two. Inner peace she indicated is the prerequisite for peace among humans and peace with nature. Those who lack inner peace are continuously searching for ways to incite hatred and invoke conflict and war they see their existence in ongoing wars and terrorism as well. We need leaders who have attained a level of inner peace to lead today’s world. The Center for Peace and Environment has decided to launch an international award this year in addition to the national award and Dr. Topfer has been chosen as the recipient of the award for 2015.
Dr. Mojtahed Shabestari also mentioned the efforts and achievements of Dr. Topfer and praised his dedication to the cause of environmental protection.
The Center for Peace and Environment is a nongovernmental organization established in 2005 in Tehran.