When is the deadline to register for the trip?
• The last day to register is February 1, 2020.
What do I need to do to register?
1) Complete the registration form.
2) Submit all required visa information: passport page, passport photograph, summarized CV/Resumé, and Residency form.
3) Deposit of Euro € 500,00. (the deposit is non-refundable except in the case of tour cancellation or visa refusal – less banking charges)
When is the final balance due?
• All accounts must be paid in full before March 1, 2020.
What is the refund policy?
• Deposits and Final Balance are refundable if the total tour is cancelled or if the participant is refused a tourist visa – less banking charges.)
What are all the costs involved in participating on this trip?
• Tour costs: € (double occupancy), € (single occupancy)
• Visa issuance (estimated with express mail charges $200)
• Travel Insurance
Is it difficult to get the visa?
No, it is not difficult. It is important however to have all of the documents as early as possible to be submitted. The visa process is a two-step process and works like this:
1. Submit all required documents to IDT. We will check them and prepare them in Persian and send them to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA). Within two to four weeks the MFA will reply back with a Visa Authorization Code in the form of a PDF Visa. We will send a copy to you and then step 2 happens.
2. The client submits their passport and the Visa Authorization PDF to the Iranian diplomatic authority with jurisdiction. For USA residents this is the Iranian Interests Section in Washington DC. Usually, clients overnight their documents and within the week the office will overnight the passport with issued visa back to you. We will go over the exact details for both steps at the appropriate time. It is important to note that visas are issued usually just a few weeks prior to departure.
What airline should I fly on?
The following airlines fly to Iran from the USA via stopovers in Europe or the Middle East.
Turkish Airlines (via Istanbul) – multiple daily flights to Tehran
Aeroflot (via Moscow)
Austrian (via Vienna)
Emirates (via Dubai)
Lufthansa (via Frankfurt)
Qatar (via Doha)
When should I purchase my ticket?
• This is up to the individual.
• We officially confirm the trip when 8 participants have registered and paid their deposits.
• It is important to start looking at airfares as soon as you have decided to participate.
Can I use my ATM, credit cards, or Traveller’s cheques in Iran?
• No. You can only use cash. We suggest bringing an array of banknotes (USD, Euro, or any other major currency).
• It is best to over-budget the amount of cash you bring as you may decide to make some purchases or add something special to the program.
Can I speak with past participants who have climbed, skied and visited Iran?
Of course! Let us know and we can set you up via e-mail and then together you can decide what platform to communicate on. The more information that you have the better!
What are the local Iranian guides like?
There will be two crews used for this trip. For the first part of skiing and climbing you will be under the supervision of an licensed English-speaking Iranian climbing guide who is specialized in the Damavand climb as well as skiing in Iran. The second half of the tour – which focuses on the cultural will have a different English-speaking guide to accompany the group and enhance your visit and provide any assistance you may need.
Who are John and Kathleen?
Kathleen Egan and John Fiddler of Seattle are now experts on climbing in Iran and have make multiple trips –on their own, with travel industry people as well as leading adventure tours. This will be their third Damavand ascent and second round of skiing. They have a blog that details their international runs, hikes and climbs here at Knucklehead Adventure Tours.